Fraternity Challenge Coins
Does your fraternity have challenge coins?
By the strict definition, fraternity means a group of people sharing a common profession or interests. On college campuses across the country, young men gather in groups with each other, building bonds that last a lifetime through their common interests and shared sense of competition with other organizations. According to statistics from the 2015 - 2016 academic year, there are 6,233 fraternity chapters on roughly 800 college campuses, and roughly 4.2 million fraternity alumni across the world. With so many different organizations and chapters spread out across the country, the best way to physically represent the bonds established in these brotherhoods is with custom Greek challenge coins.
Signature Coins has spent the last 15+ years delivering world-class custom challenge coins to government agencies, branches of the military, Fortune 500 companies and special interest clubs and organizations across the country. Through our passion and dedication to finding the best ways to execute our customers’ unique visions for their challenge coins, we’ve been able to earn an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau. If you’re looking for the perfect way to make a new pledge feel welcomed, or to show your appreciation to an established alumnus, let Signature Coins offer our expertise in creating a keepsake they’ll be proud of forever.
A Brief History of American Fraternities
The existence of fraternal secret societies on American college campuses is actually older than the United States of America itself. The first such organization was formed at the College of William and Mary in 1750. In those early days, these sorts of organizations were only found on that college campus, at Yale and at the College of New Jersey. These organizations were created to give students the opportunity to practice debate and oratory skills, and they often served as places where the students could expand their knowledge to subjects and topics not generally covered in the established curriculum.
The official Greek life system that’s popular today took a little more time, coming into practice around 1776. As members and critics of the earlier groups started to divide and reshape their ideologies, they decided to branch off and create their own fraternities. These groups were some of the first to adopt the practice of coming up with secret mottos and using the Greek letters from the initials of those mottos as their names. In this way, the current model of fraternities was born.
Ready To Get Started?
Ready To Get Started?
What are Fraternity Challenge Coins?
With their history situated firmly in the tradition of secret societies, fraternities have long had the task of figuring out ways to distinguish its members. Pins and other memorabilia have been used to these ends. Fraternity challenge coins serve the purpose of signifying members while also working to build a sense of unity amongst frat brothers. Just like no two fraternities are the same, no two chapters of the same frat are exactly alike. Which means that while elements of all the challenge coins for Sigma Alpha Epsilon, for example, might be similar, there’s no reason for the coins from the University of Alabama chapter to be exactly the same as the Auburn University chapter.
Notable fraternities that could benefit from custom university challenge coins include:
- Alpha Phi Alpha
- Pi Kappa Alpha
- Tau Kappa Epsilon
- Sigma Alpha Epsilon
- Sigma Phi Epsilon
- Kappa Alpha Society
- Sigma Chi
- Lambda Sigma Upsilon
- Lambda Chi Alpha
- Sigma Nu
- Beta Theta Pi
- Delta Kappa Epsilon
- Alpha Tau Omega
Ready to get your custom fraternity challenge coins started? Submit your quote request form to us today and our artists will get back to you with your first free art proof in 24 - 48 hours.Call and Speak to a Specialist Today
Customize Your Perfect Greek Challenge Coins
With Signature Coins, you remain in control of the look and feel of your coins. While some of the elements of your coin like the fraternity name, logo, motto and related insignia might be the obvious choices for your design, the options of what to put on your custom coin don’t stop there. Perhaps the perfect pledge challenge coin also features elements unique to the university and the specific chapter of your fraternity. The only limits to what design elements can be incorporated into your coin are your own imagination.
Some of our standard customization options include:
- Shape and Size-- Our coins usually range in size from 1” - 3” and while the circular coin shape is traditional, other shapes more specific to your fraternity are also available. Inquire about oversized coins for special occasions.
- Color-- The full Pantone color spectrum is at your disposal for your coins. You can either leave the coin in a classic metallic coloration or choose up to seven colors for either, or both, sides of the coin to make sure your frat’s flag can be perfectly represented.
- 3D Options-- Raised lettering, logos or other design elements can really make your university challenge coin pop.
- Coin Edge-- From classically smooth to an intricate crosscut, there are six different options for the edge of your coin.
- Plating-- Would you prefer an antique gold, silver or copper plating for your custom coin? If you’re having a hard time choosing one option, you can always combine two for a truly unique look.
- Offset Printing-- Offset printing creates an exact replica of an image or photograph on the surface of your coin. It’s the perfect option for representing classic alumni on your coin.
- Silk Screen-- Let your coin maintain a perfectly smooth surface by silk screening your design’s colors onto the coin.
- Epoxy Dome-- Some customers like the original feel of the metal on the coin, but if you want a glassy and smooth finish over one or both sides of a coin, choose the epoxy dome option.
Start New Fraternity Traditions
At Signature Coins, we understand the importance of tradition and the influence it has on establishing unity amongst members of a team. With over 15 years of experience providing custom challenge coins to members of the U.S. armed forces, we’ve grown to learn about the traditions that have sprung up around the coins.
Custom fraternity challenge coins can be incorporated into rush week, initiation rituals, annual conventions and any number of other events. The possibilities are endless. So give us a call, send an email or fill out one of the quote request forms found on this page and get started creating your new traditions today.